The workshops listed here can be scheduled in your area. Please use the form below to request a date and a quote. Note that available dates are limited so prepare a few options.
Workshop fees are negotiable and will usually include travel and accommodation, where appropriate.
Attendees are given a password to view the copy of the presentation. If you attended a workshop, please click on the title/link for the one you were at.
An explanation of the details writers need to know when using quotations or pictures from others, or when you need to protect your own work.
Overview of the deductions that writers should be entitled to, and tips on filling out the T2125.
What to watch out for in our digital world and still get your name out there safely.
Using Print-On-Demand options such as IngramSpark or Amazon’s CreateSpace/KDP (TM) to distribute your manuscript in a rapidly changing publishing industry. With the help of these tips, you will save time, effort, money and aggravation.
Interviewing & Writing
Is there a book in your family’s adventures? Hands-on examples of techniques that you can use to organize the interviews and then writing your notes into a manuscript.
Design your characters within a consistent framework. This interactive workshop will open up your creativity when developing your protagonist, antagonist and extra characters.
Small Business Operations
Choose from this list of topics that I developed and presented at Langara College. Each topic is tailored to your requirements for the length, detail and focus of the workshop:
- Human Resources – a business spends more on its staff but takes little time thinking about how people can be better treated so they will work with you rather just for you.
- Your Plan – do you know what you want to do? What should you do as a small business or professional in your field? How do these goals and tasks interact?
- The Inconvenient Details – laws, rules, regulations, and conventions; risks and insurance. Effectively planning for these details will smooth the flow of your business.
- Measuring Your Money – before, during and after. When you know what your money is doing, it will build to your benefit.
- Software, Hardware and The Internet – making tasks easier; avoiding identity fraud. Hackers want your money – learn how to harden your security shell.
- Working Lean – how to know what you are really doing; why you are doing it; working better; focusing on improvement, not putting out fires.
- Customers and Staff Are People – how it used to be done; why we don’t it that way anymore; best practices for better results.
- Marketing and Promotion – different strokes for different demographic targets.